HW/Prep: Research, take notes on your selected cause of your assigned conflict
A Block classes: Summative Argumentative Speech (Debate) is Friday, March 10th
B Block classes: Summative Argumentative Speech (Debate) is Monday, March 13th
HW tasks over the next week include:
- Find reliable sources. Look for primary sources (speeches, news articles, interviews, photographs, political cartoons, etc.) and reliable secondary sources for information.
- Find reliable, academic-worthy text evidence (quoted passages, statistics, etc.) that you can use to support your position. (do not use Wikipedia or other wiki sites or blogs; rely less on Quora, A-Z Quotes, About.com, Sparknotes, etc.) ; use less frequently Alpha History, History.com, etc.) -- go directly to the source as much as possible for your evidence. Be sure you have a variety of sources -- you'll need a variety of sources for your debate speech. Do not get all of your information from Alpha History or Crash Course videos -- Variety and Credibility is key!
- Develop a claim (what is your specific, focused and compelling claim about this cause and how it significantly played a role in this conflict?)
- Develop counterclaims -- what would others argue were contributing causes? What will your other group members be arguing? How can you recognize some of the validity of their claims while still refuting them and proving your cause was much more significant? Write your counterclaims. Make bullet point notes you can say/argue to prove your cause to be more significant in leading to conflict.
- Develop a 1-minute Argumentative speech and visual slide to help support your claim (Slide may have a primary source image and a caption and your claim statement. No other informational text allowed. -- you will submit your slide ahead of time so that Mrs. Stewart can project the slides for all students in the order you will speak. You will get to make a 30-second follow up rebuttal after your other group members have presented. This is when having those counterclaims and bullet points will really become helpful!