On Tuesday (April 19) we will participate in a Gallery Walk looking at various families around the world and look at how they live, what they eat and what their homes are like to understand what these pictures can tell us about their lives. We will begin looking at data and comparing data between countries to determine level of development. We will also discuss "quality of life" and why this is different than "standard of living".
On Thursday (April 21) we will focus more on economic disparity and start comparing levels of development. You will participate in a simulation to help you understand this better. You will also take a formative vocabulary quiz.
On Friday (April 22), we will read more about economic disparity and poverty.
Helpful links for this weeks classes:
- Levels of Development (Google Presentation)
- Material World Global Family Portraits - Peter Menzel Photography
- Culture Grams - Website for Class Handout Task Username: chadwickis Password: cis282
- Economic Disparity: The Development Gap (Google Presentation)
- The Rising Tide of Poverty (Student Reading Handout)
Additional Resources (may be helpful for homework and investigation research:
- GapMinder Data & Discussion (Google Presentation for HW this week)
- If it were my home…
- GAPMinder.org - World Data
- People & the Planet
- Passport Index