Current event articles for today's group discussions
- Youths bring lawsuits to push governments into helping stop climate change
- Tales of Asians' success in America overlook immigrants living on the edge
- Young people flee Iraq after years of war; officials fear a "brain drain"
- Principal puts school election on hold and gets a lesson in democracy
- China tries to pump new blood into aging workforce by lifting 1-child law
- Opinion: Education fund needed for children fleeing countries in crisis
- Homelessness is a huge problem in Hawaii, but state help is on the way
While reading, take notes in your journal about the article. Use the 5 Ws (and sometimes H) to help guide your notes. Consider asking the following questions about this current event:
- WHO - Who is involved?
- WHAT - What has happened -- is happening -- might happen -- will happen?
- WHEN - When did this occur -- or will occur?
- WHERE - Where in the world is this occurring? Where will this event or issue have an impact?
- WHY - Why has this happened -- or will happen? Why is this newsworthy? Why does this matter? Why should I/others care?
- HOW - How will this impact others? How is this related to something I am learning --or have learned-- in school?
"The Week in Rap"